Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Christmas Tree & Glass Baubles


This is the second Christmas without my sweet husband.   As I've learned to expect, this Christmas is different from last Christmas, which was different from all the Christmases before.   Last Christmas can best be characterized as "NUMB".   We all went through the motions, but looking back on it now, I can say we were making a great attempt to be jolly and normal.

I am beginning to understand and accept the grace of transition in my life.   I've recovered from the frustrating stage of being a petulant child who refuses to accept that I can't have what I want -- my husband back -- to an adult woman who realizes that it is my job and my need to find my way alone.   There is a certain peace that I am beginning to find and to feel. 

With my new found acceptance (peace), I have been enjoying decorating my home for Christmas.   There are lights on my deck and the front of my house -- sweet fairy lights that shine out into the world welcoming the birth of our sweet Jesus.  

In the past, Len and I would have enjoyed the great "Christmas Tree Hunt" -- either going out in the woods to find a beautiful cedar (his favorite) or to a tree farm to find a spruce (my favorite).   This year my Christmas Tree is a small artificial tree that was my Mom's.   It is precious to me.   It is pre-lit (what a wonderful thing), and it is flocked so that it looks like there is snow on the branches and is adorned with beautiful, red berries -- a woodland tree.   It is perfect.   It is so perfect that I was inclined to leave it "bare" -- no ornamentation.    

Like all of us, I have amassed hundreds of ornaments collected lovingly over the years.  I usually love the hours I spend taking them out of their boxes and hanging them on the tree, enjoying the memories that each ornament holds.   As I continued to decide on how much I was going to decorate the tree and the house, I realized I did not want to use those memory-filled ornaments.   So, instead I decided I was going to just pull out my box of glass beads and simply drape them on the tree.   

To my great surprise, I opened a small box that was in with all my glass beads, and found some ancient, delicate, fragile glass ornaments that had been in Len's family since forever -- most likely his grandmother's.  I had packed them away for safe-keeping as I had always been afraid of using them.   As I opened the box and carefully discovered each beautiful little ball, I was warmed by the presence of memories of Christmases "past".    You know the feeling -- the ability (as years go on) to bump up against a "memory" and smile instead of cry.

As I held these precious balls in my hand I decided that they had to be on the tree this year.    As I began to hang them on my little tree I felt my husband, I felt his mother and father, his grandparents, his children and grandchildren -- I spoke to him and began to cry -- the gentle tears of acceptance.   I talked to him about how I loved these old ornaments, how I was missing him so much, but that we are all okay.   And then, all of a sudden, I started laughing!    I realized that here I was describing all the things that I was enjoying about Christmas, how much I missed him, and it hit me!   WAIT!   Why am I feeling bad that you aren't here with me for Christmas?   You are in heaven and getting ready to go to Jesus' birthday party!   Talk about the ultimate Christmas celebration!    I laughed, I smiled, I felt at peace.     

My simple, little Christmas tree with its fragile, delicate ornaments is perfect. 



Merry Christmas & Happy Birthday Sweet Jesus.


3 comments:

Deb Weaver said...

Beautiful! Walking in Grace is a gift.

Marie Pritchett said...

My sweet friend this is AWESOME!!! I want to be just like you when I grow up:) Thank you so much for always being my encourager!!! I love you so much and pray you are flooded with good memories of Len this Christmas season:)

Cathy McCormick said...

Marie --- Thank you, my sweet friend. I love you so much and hold you near and dear in my heart and prayers this Christmas. PEACE. PEACE. PEACE.